Message Board

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Skiff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:39 pm 

Still looking for that one man shallow water tool... And this could just possibly be it??? This company is so new their website won't be up for a few days ( www.soloskiff.com )

If you can't wait, you can checkout their "one man skiff" on Facebook, just type in 'solo skiff' (he's a good guy, push "like"). They've got some great pic's of the boat in a number of stages in the building process... Very cool!

Post subject: Re: New Skiff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:07 pm 

check out this forum for all the micro skiff info

www.microskiff.com

I am looking at the Ankona models (Copperhead, SUV and Cayenne)

Retiring to Wilmington NC in 2 yrs, 5 months and 12 days (not that I am counting) :)

Going to take a ride in a copperhead next week in Wilmington

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:16 pm 

Great site, Herman!... They also have pretty good feeds on Facebook.
I'm a customer / fan of that other little boat building company there in Fort Pierce :))) (Hewes- Maverick-Pathfinder). Now that I've gotten my plug out of the way, I will say that I've had my eye on the Copperhead for awhile now... Think they've got that thing right! Please pass on your review... Have fun, enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:53 pm 

Herman, I thought I'd pass on some free advise. Looks like you're looking to purchase an economical skiff and that's fine... Just don't save a few bucks by going with the tiller drive. You will come to hating it.

Since you changed the subject to skiffs (real skiffs)... If I were to purchase one today, I wouldn't have to think twice about it. I would follow Mark Castlow over to his new company, http://WWW.dragonflyboatworksllc.com buy the dragonfly. 40k, but keep in mind, Hellsbay is well over 60k now... Just sayin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:41 pm 

Lefty Kreh says there's more BS in fly fishing than there is at Kansas stock yard... I would agree! And, I've always tried my best not to spread it, but in this case I have and for that, I apologize. Yes, you can purchase a loaded skiff model from Hells Bay Boat Works for 60K, but you can also leave their factory with a skiff that's priced competitively... They're high end, well built skiffs with great resale value and should be priced accordingly.

I personally have a huge crush on their Biscayne model!
Note to self... Remember to believe nothing that you hear, half of what you see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:32 am 

Took a ride this last week at Wilmington NC in an Ankona SUV 17, Back Country edition rigged out and for the money it is great. With CC 40HP Tohatsu it runs 32 MPH top end, but we were cruising at 25-26 MPH with two in the boat and poles in 5-6 inches. Cost new (boat, motor and trailer) was just under $15k with pickup in Fort Pierce FL.

There is a Gen 1 and Gen 2 Copperhead in Morehead City and a Gen 2 Copperhead in Wilmington.

23ft carbon pole was $700 and you want a pole about 5-6 ft longer than your boat, I found that out for sure, otherwise it will really work you needslessly.

Fit and finish is not a $60K boat, had a minor gel coat blemish on transom, but then it sells for under $15k. It was a very solid technical poling skiff boat that will do all the work of the more expensive ones. Ride was super, quite stable in a mild chop 1-1 1/2 ft on the intercoastal. The SUV is 68" I believe and smaller gunnels, so you cannot walk them. However, the Copperhead and Cayenne have wider gunnels that can be walked.

Trim tabs were a must and really help eliminate porposing with only one person in the boat.

Next spring I am going to FL to visit my brother and I am going to ride in the Cayenne (it will take a 60 HP). It is supposed to be better in chop and draws 6" draft for poling. So far only three built and two in Tampa and one in real south FL somewhere.

Have no intention of getting the tiller model. Getting old, with bad back and like to sit down now. :)

Lot of inshore guides in the NC area are running two boats now: a larger CC or big Carolina skiff and then a poling flats boat for working the real low tide weed beds and flats. Inshore and poling skiffs are getting big in that area as the inshore fishing is just fantastic off the end of Fort Fisher, Topsail and Wrightsville Beach area. In fact numerous guides are only using the poling skiffs now and specializing in inshore for reds etc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:29 pm 

Well decided to go another way after having neck surgery. Being 60, messed up neck and back and trying to pole a skiff does not sound good.

Found a boat that might solve that problem. "Coastal Skiffs" in Fairbluff NC out of FourSons Marine. They hand build about 50-60 skiffs a year. 21ft with 90 suzuki and trailer is about $17K. They have a new hull that is slightly tunnel and drafts less than 6 inches running and at still.

Price seemed too good to be true in advertisements, so I went to see them. They make their living building fiberglass covers for communications boxes etc and build boats for fun. Their father has been with every major boat company and they grew up doing it. So boat building is not for making their living. As a mftr, they buy trailer loads of motors and sell to dealers for small profit and never touch them. Dealers come get them off the truck.

I am looking at the new type hull 21 ft, 90 suzuki with trolling control option, custom bait well and storage in rear, live well, anchor locker and baitwell up front, custom rod locker, and leaning post, I-80 24V system with hookup for gigging lights , Lowrance HDS 5 depthfinder/GPS, bimini top, marine radio and LED lighting. Looks like price out the door will be around $22k, so for fishing inshore around Wilmington NC where I plan on retiring next year it will work perfect. The new hull design is much smoother than the carolina skiffs and still retains the extremely shallow draft.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:18 am 

Had a chance to go fishing in one of those skiffs and dang if they can't go just about anywhere the microskiffs can and carry 6 people easy. We fished the small creek at low tide running thru Bald Head Island off Fort Fisher in NC. Caught bunch of puppies, and some sheepshead. It truly drafts 5-6 inches.

Running across the lower Cape Fear with all the boat traffic and chop was not near as rough as I thought it would be in that boat.

Only 16 months and 9 days until retirement and move to NC coast. :)