Message Board

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crappie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:31 pm 

With the first nice afternoon in a long while, I had to try something. In about 1/2 hour, I caught 3 crappie. I used a 1" chartreuse tube on a 1/16 oz jig head under a float. So it's not a fly rod. It's fishing. I was at a small SWM/landscape pond a half mile from the huse.

Post subject: Re: Crappie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:38 pm 

Went back and fished for a half hour or so with a light spinning rod. Used a small tube under a float. I caught 7 crappie and missed that many more. They were in 2" of water. With a warming trend for tomorrow and into Sat., it's time to be fishing.

Post subject: Re: Crappie
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:14 am 

Craig and I fished Hideaway Pond at NSWC Dahlgren on Sunday. The water had been drawn down about 2 feet recently so they could electroshock the lake.

Most of the fish we caught were small, including Bluegills, Largemouth Bass and the occasional Crappie. After an hour or two we discovered a couple of man-made brush piles loaded with Crappies. I think I landed over 40, and I believe Craig had a similar number. Sized varied, but all were healthy looking.

We talked to one of the guys who manages the natural areas of the base, and he noted that they had taken out a lot of fish during the electroshocking to improve the species and size distribution of the pond. He also noted that the ban on eating fish from the pond may be lifted if recent water and fish quality tests turn out OK. We'll keep our eyes open for news on that.