Message Board

It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017 Angler of the Year
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 am 

Fellow Fly Flingers,

Below, please find the guidelines for this year's Angler of the Year contest. I've tried to simplify things a bit to make it easier to participate. Even if you don't expect to be a major competitor, I strongly recommend participating. You'll have fun searching for all the different species of fish we have out there!

This year’s contest will start at the February meeting. Scores will be compiled each month from meeting to meeting and then added from month to month until the November meeting. Register with Pete Adams or Craig Conover at any time before or during the contest. The entry fee is $10.

Fish must be caught with fly tackle and fly only. No bait! No lures! No nets! No explosives!

The basic goal is to catch as many different fish species as possible each month. Only one fish of each species per month will count toward points. Size doesn’t matter unless there’s a special incentive for that. There are 10 points per specie per month.
• Except the bonus fish of the month will be worth 25 points. The bonus fish may be a specific species, a fish with a special characteristic, or a fish caught in a unique way. The bonus fish and the word of the month will be announced by each meeting date.
• Except there may, from month to month, be extra points for a fish that meets certain criteria, such as the most ugly, the most colorful, the smallest, etc. This will sometimes require a subjective ruling so we may rely on an impartial panel of non-competing judges.
• Except the points for any fish over 20" in length will be doubled. Over 30", multiplied by 3. And so on...

Since taking pictures of your fish, while holding a card with the word of the month, holding your fly rod, and standing on one foot on slippery rocks in fast current is not only dangerous but a paint in the neck, we’ll use Boy Scout rules this year. Since “A Scout is Trustworthy” we won’t be requiring a photo (although they’re encouraged) – just let Pete know what you caught by email, phone, or a note at the meeting. Easy!

The angler with most points at the November 2015 meeting will be the overall winner. Trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will be awarded at the December meeting. In the interest of stimulating friendly competition through the year, scores and ranks may not be revealed until the December meeting.

Tight Lines!
Pete Adams

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:11 pm 

Feb: The word is BOW, the fish is Pickerel (25 points), and 25 extra points will go to the longest fish.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:14 pm 

For March-April the word is FIN, the bonus fish (25 points!) is AMERICAN SHAD, and the extra bonus (yet another 25 points!) is for the MOST COLORFUL FISH. We'll probably need a photo for this one, so bring 'em in to the next meeting for judgment by a select panel of experts (anyone who isn't competing).

Last month's extra points were for the longest fish, but no-one sent me any length information. So, you guys that provided info to Craig last month, please give me an estimate of your longest fish for the month.

If you have any questions or concerns, or just want to go fishing - give me a call!

Pete "flyfishwhisperer" Adams

P.S. Had some great action on Bonefish, Blacktip Shark, Baracuda and Mahi mahi last week in the Bahamas. Had my 10-wt broken AGAIN! I need a bigger rod...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:15 am 

For April-May the word is FLY, the bonus fish (25 points!) is RAINBOW TROUT, and the extra bonus (yet another 25 points!) is for those who bring SOMEONE NEW to a club meeting or event. Even your mother-in-law counts for this!

If you have any questions or concerns, or just want to go fishing - give me a call!

Pete "flyfishwhisperer" Adams

P.S. Had some good luck on Hickory Shad just upstream of Old Mill Park recently on a modified Sir Bruce. They're here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:29 am 

For June - July the word is ROD, the bonus fish is a Crappie (25 points) and the special bonus is the most fish landed (25 points). If you touch the leader and the fish jumps off, we'll still consider that fish landed.

I haven't received many scores for the April - May period. Give me a call or send me a message with your catches! While you're at it, let me know what you've caught for the May - June period too. This is prime time, guys - you should be catching fish like crazy!

Up here in cool and rainy New York, the big bull bluegills (up to 8.5" high and 12" long!) and largemouth bass (up to 22" long) have been fishing very well, especially on my brother's little 3-wt fly rod. Since the dragonfly nymphs are active at this time of year, I created a new fly I call "Pete's Dragon" (cute, eh?). It's been very good here, in northern New Jersey, and in Massachusetts over the past few weeks. I've tried to upload a pattern sheet for the fly, but this website won't let me upload .docx or .pdf files. I'll try to get it to you some other way.

Pete Adams

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:40 pm 

July-August word of the month is MUD. Bonus fish Largemouth Bass. Extra bonus for taking a kid fishing this month.