Message Board

It is currently Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rapidan at Ely's Ford
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:48 am 

FISH ON!

Waded upstream of the Ely's Ford bridge Saturday afternoon with my wife. I believe she is hooked on fly fishing after landing a 17" smallmouth. She out fished me however, I had to unhook all her fish for her. We caught several dozen sunfish a few smallmouth and a red eye bass. Can't beat casting to the shaded banks with popers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:36 am 

When I met my wife she hadn't fished before. But on one of our first fishing trips she caught a similar smallmouth on the Pamunkey. I guess she enjoys fishing enough to keep going, but just this week we were talking about how she hadn't caught a fish that big since. I hope your wife's luck continues to be good. and thanks for the report Craig.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:15 pm 

Sam and I put kayaks in and fished the brightest part of the day until 2pm. We went upstream . Fishing was great. Catching was a little slow. I got about 2 dozen fish. Two were small SMB, one a rock bass, with the rest robins. Counting Sam, I talked to 4 other fishermen. All had results about like me or worse.

I understand that Elio and Ross fished the Rap near FOR today. Hopefully, they will post results.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 pm 

Good deal Craig, sounds like a good time. I need to do some wading & rock hopping up stream from the bridge cause I always went down and that was for the annual 2 day trips.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:48 pm 

Fished from 6:30 to 11:30 am Water was low and clear( gauge at 1/2 foot) Was mostly cloudy. Could not buy a fish under water. Everything that I caught was on a little popper. Catching was slow most of the time. From 9:45am t0 10:00, fish were steadily rising. I do not have a clue to what. I could see nothing. Most of the rises were very subtle like they were eating something small and slow and just under the surface. However if you hit them on the head with the fly, every second one would eat it. So, I had 15 minutes of pretty good fishing. Over all, I got 2 SMB, two fall fish and at least 3 dozen robins.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:43 am 

Fished yesterday at Hunting run ramp. Water was a little high and dingy. Fishing was very slow. Eight or 10 red breasted sunfish in three hours. All top water. Tried under water. Nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:21 am 

I fished downstream from Ely's Ford on Sunday, the 17th, armed with my trusty 4-wt, a 5-wt floating line, and a #6 Organge EL Gurgler (thanks to Elio). Starting at about 8:30, I worked my way slowly down, picking off an occasional sunny here and there among the rocks along the shore to my right. The water was low, clear, and running well, so visibility was good, even though it was cloudy with an occasional light sprinkle of rain in the morning. I eventually added a few feet of 3X tippet and a barbless #12 Crystal Bugger with a black bead head (thanks to Gary Shoman). That turned out to be the ticket and I started picking up fish about every third cast, including two very nice Smallmouth (ask Elio what I mean by "very nice"). I eventually switched to a white #12 Crystal Bugger with small chrome dumbbell eyes, and it worked just as well. By early afternoon the weather cleared a bit, the rain stopped, and visibility improved. At the end of the day, about 4:30, I had traveled downstream about 3/4 mile and caught 40 to 50 fish. Most were small and feisty, and all of them hit and fought hard - perfect for a 4-wt. If I go later this summer or fall, I may bring a little 2/3-wt for even more fun.

Even though is was cloudy and sprinkly in the morning, there were a number of canoers and kayakers putting in at Ely's and going downstream. They were all courteous and tried to avoid disturbing my fishing. Some of them put in at Ely's and paddled upstream to fish some of the deeper holes up there. Food for thought...

So if you're looking for a relaxing day on the water with relatively easy wading and plenty of little fish to entertain you, give Ely's a try. Bring a small rod and try a "stealth rig" - a small popper with a small nymph or streamer tied on behind it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:58 pm 

Sam and I launched our kayaks at the Hunting Run ramp this morning at 6:30. Fished upstream. A little slow. I caught 3 SMB to 13" and a number of red breasted sunfish. Sam did at least as good. I fished mostly topwater. We left about 1:00.

Another boat (jon) was there the same time. They took a stringer of maybe 15 fish out. Most were 2 pound catfish but a few bass were mixed in.

Spotswood Furnace Rd is still closed, thus you need to stay on Rt 3 until Ely's Ford Rd.