Message Board

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: steelheads
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:47 pm 

Just back from two days fishing Erie, PA. Three 24"ers came home with me. Really heavy fish. These were small ones. Caught 2 more, one of which was maybe twice the weight of the ones kept. Broke three off. Rolled 4 or 5 more. Fished upper Elk Creek mostly and lower 16 mile a little. Also, looked at lower Walnut. There is lots of access but also lots of fishermen. Kind of like the Rap in April. Streams range in size of the Rapadan at confluence to it in the SNP. Seems like the streams come up and then go down in a short period of time. When they are up, they are unfisherable. When down, fish can not move because of its so shallow , so killed fish are not replaced. Remainders also get skittish. Flow conditions were good when I was there.
I was not to wild about the style of fishing, but I am real glad that I did it once. It's sight fishing. You are generally about 20' from the fish. Some times, 6, 8 or more. You see the fish, try to swing your fly to the nose of a fish,while twitching it. Then, try again with the next fish in line. About every 1000th try, he take it. It's a rush when the big boy runs and jumps and you have 4x tippet. As noted, I only used the long rod. There were bait fishermen and spoons were being tossed. But a lot of fly fishermen and they were doing as well as or better than others.
Tony Dranzo was my guide and was great. He lead me astray at the Orange show last spring where his table was next to ours. I am talking to him about a white shad/trout trip to the upper Delaware in May.