Message Board

It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:06 pm 

Went to the Waynesboro area to get a trout fix and had some luck, plenty of Chubs in all sizes and several Brownies, took one picture, not huge, found him in the farthest down stream wade only section of the managed waters, he liked a hare's ear gold bead head nymph.

Attachments:
Brown Trout_South River.JPG
Brown Trout_South River.JPG [ 163.4 KiB | Viewed 3140 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:08 pm 

Went after Brownies on the Managed Water section of the South River, caught just about everything else including this Carp on a #14 Hare's ear gold bead head nymph, wasn't expecting this one.

Attachments:
South River Carp.jpg
South River Carp.jpg [ 107.11 KiB | Viewed 3089 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:02 pm 

At the last meeting there was some discussion about trout stocking and in which rivers, I went to one of those rivers today the Upper South just outside of Waynesboro and had some good results. I fished for about three hours landed a mix of Rainbows and Brownies, used a nymph throughout didn’t see any fish rising. The fish pictured is the median size of the trout caught.

Attachments:
Rainbow Trout.jpg
Rainbow Trout.jpg [ 73.01 KiB | Viewed 3001 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:09 pm 

Made the trek to Waynesboro on Veteran's Day, used a Hare's ear and when that got slow switched to a pheasant tail nymph. Fished the 3 hours just before sunset, plenty of Fall Fish and a good number of Rainbows and Browns mixed in. Rainbow pictured was one of the smaller ones on the day.

Attachments:
100_0147.JPG
100_0147.JPG [ 57.33 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:12 pm 

Got a few hours in Sunday afternoon, water level was high from recent rains but clear, fished heavy nymphs with some success, several trout and twice as many fall fish.

Attachments:
Rainbow.JPG
Rainbow.JPG [ 119.7 KiB | Viewed 2783 times ]
Brown.JPG
Brown.JPG [ 82.09 KiB | Viewed 2783 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:05 am 

Spent some time on the South and St Marys Rivers in the Waynesboro-Staunton area this weekend. The South River's water level was high, clarity was good, you could get some business with a heavy nymph. Saw some bugs on the surface, small brown flies but nothing rising to take them. This was my first trip to St Marys in search of brookies, water level and clarity were good, some nice pools and stretches to fish, easy access but a bit of a drive. I saw one fish rise, not to my fly by the way, otherwise no action or reported action by others I spoke with on the river.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:56 pm 

Spent Sunday on the river, water level was a little high from the recent rain but clear, had a good day. I was surprised when I hooked into several of these small brook trout, didn't think there were any in the managed water portion of the river. They were in a section of rapids about 12 inches deep and took a #14 pheasant tail nymph.

Attachments:
Brook fingerling.jpg
Brook fingerling.jpg [ 69.19 KiB | Viewed 2574 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:39 pm 

Pete and I went after some trout Saturday 4 May. We hit the trifecta, landing a mix of Brownies, Brookies and Rainbows. In between the trout there was plenty of Shiners, Dace and Chubs of all sizes. We used the flies and patterns from the trout fly box raffled at the April meeting - just a pitch for the monthly meeting fly boxes.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:20 am 

Gary and I had a great day on the river on the 4th. Like Gary said, we caught a large number and variety of fish. Gary's bead head hare's ear nymph and bead head black crystal bugger were killer patterns. Both of my browns fell to the nymph in the shallows and both rainbows were caught on the bugger in deeper water. I got a chance to test my 11-ft 4-wt nymph rod, which worked very well on this water. I was able to get some long drag-free drifts with the nymph which turned out to be effective. I've attached a photo of Gary with one of his Browns.

Attachments:
File comment: Gary and South River Brown Trout
P5040115 cropped & downsized.JPG
P5040115 cropped & downsized.JPG [ 49.26 KiB | Viewed 2493 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:04 pm 

Another good day on the Upper South just outside Waynesboro, Scott and I used mostly nymphs and some dry flys to land a mixed bag of Rainbows, Brookies, Browns and an assortment of other species. A considerable down pour didn't slow the action or reduce the clarity of the water.

Attachments:
Scott, So. River Rainbow.jpg
Scott, So. River Rainbow.jpg [ 93.11 KiB | Viewed 2335 times ]
Gary, So. River Rainbow.jpg
Gary, So. River Rainbow.jpg [ 75.9 KiB | Viewed 2335 times ]
South River Rainbow.jpg
South River Rainbow.jpg [ 67.97 KiB | Viewed 2335 times ]