Message Board

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:28 am 

On Tuesday, May 5th, Ross and I ventured to the special regulations section of the South River, upstream of Waynesboro VA, to prospect for some Rainbow Trout. Since the Rainbow was the extra points fish for the Angler of the Year contest, Ross was particularly keen to snag one. Although the water was pretty clear, it was running about a foot high and a bit fast. Ross discovered, to his dismay, that greased rocks and fast current don't bode well.

Both of us caught a good number of fish, though Creek Chubs and Fall Fish dominated. While Ross navigated across the stream with only minor mishaps, I (being older and slightly wiser) stayed in the shallower and gentler currents near shore. That worked well as we slowly made our way upstream, deftly flicking our dries and nymphs to the unsuspecting denizens of the stream. It seemed like most of the fish were hugging the bottom, especially in the sections with faster current, so drifting a nymph under an indicator worked pretty well. Ross, with lightning reflexes, connected on one chub after another while I just watched my indicator jump and bob with one hit after another. I was eventually able to hook a few village idiots - four Rainbows, one Brown (by the tail) and a zillion Chubs. Ross ended up with a nice Brook Trout and three zillion Chubs.

It was a great day to be on the water. If you're interested in trying this place, please let us know. There are a few tricks to finding the best spots.

From now on, please refer to Ross as "The Chubmaster". He's more than earned the title...